Drowning can happen nearly anywhere with standing water. But, as a parent or caregiver, you can’t keep your kids sidelined. You need to equip your children with the tools they need to be confident in and around water so they don’t lose out on the health benefits of exercise, the opportunities to bond with family and friends and the sense of accomplishment when they learn new skills.
Teaching children how to be safe around water is not a luxury; it is a necessity. The YMCA’s Safety Around Water program can help you make sure they learn essential water safety skills, which can open up a world of possibilities for them.
WHAT IS SAFETY AROUND WATER?
This 5-session course teaches kids water safety and basic swimming skills that help reduce the risk of drowning and builds confidence in and around water.
A typical session includes:
- Exercises to help kids adjust to being in water
- Instruction in “Jump, Push, Turn, Grab” and “Swim, Float, Swim,” two skill sets kids can use if they unexpectedly find themselves in the water
- Specific safety topics like what to do if you see someone in the water who needs help
- Fun activities that reinforce skills
- Safety Around Water is free to all 2nd graders in the Sanford School System.
- April 18 – 22
- Two times available: 5:00 pm – 5:45 pm or 6:00 pm – 6:45 pm
- Registration opens 4/1. Bring a report card/progress report for proof of grade level.